Friday, May 11, 2007

The Writer's Craft

I woke up this morning at 5:30 a.m. with the seeds of a new story forming in my head. I had characters and a plot beginning to spill out. I had to get up and jot it down before I lost it all.

This has been really cool. Never have I had characters emerge so fully drawn before. In one instance I can see and hear the character so well. I know how he speaks, I know his inflection, I even know his mannerisms. It is as if when I close my eyes I can see him.

The other characters are beginning to gel, but not so quickly as the first. The story is one of loss and growth and redemption. I hope it turns out to be as good as the parts I see so clearly in my head.

I have begun to write the scenes as they come to me. I can't remember the last time that the act of writing brought me so much joy. Unfortunately mrangelmeg, isn't sharing my joy I am afraid; he wasn't so happy about being awakened by my computer being turned on at 5:30 in the morning. I guess I will have to remind him that it was his idea to put the computer in our bedroom in the first place. I don't know how to write longhand, I do a much better job when I can put it into Word and move things around as I need to shift scenes.

I am going to work on the story a little more before dinner tonight and try to get in some work time every day until I get a rough draft complete. If anyone wants to volunteer to be a rough editor I am taking applications.

Pax

No comments: