Sunday, January 11, 2009

Unexpected Movie Recommendation


Mrangelmeg and I went to see a movie this afternoon, and since I got to pick the last one we saw, he got to pick this one (usually how we roll.) He chose Gran Torino, the new Clint Eastwood flick.


I went not expecting much; I like Clint Eastwood, but I usually have problems with his movies. I find them to be much to violent, or too harshly opinionated, or too preachy.


I loved this movie. I can't recommend it highly enough. It was violent and opinionated and preachy, but it was also an amazing story of worlds colliding when one lonely old man, who just wants to be left alone comes into contact with his spirited young Hmong neighbor and her brother who is searching for purpose in life.


The characters were powerful, and well drawn. They were played pitch perfect in every case, even the young priest was played well. While the script did take a few liberties with Catholic liturgical practices for the sake of story, I can forgive them that because it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.


Again, this movie is well worth the price of a theater ticket and I think will be in the running for multiple Oscars. Incidentally the music was beautifully subtle, yet stunningly appropriate, and was composed by Kyle Eastwood (Clint's son).


I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Pax

No comments: