Monday, November 06, 2006

All Creatures Great and Small

One of the best things about living out here in the 4.5 acre woods is that on occasion we are visited by a sight like the one I got this morning. I woke up at about 6 a.m. and went out to the kitchen for a glass of water. Just outside the back of the house, as peaceful as could be was a young buck, much like the one in this picture. He was wide awake and just peacefully sitting there.

I tried to take a picture of him with my digital camera, but even on the night settings I couldn't get an image through the glass of the back door. I was afraid that if I tried to open the door I would spook him away.

We have seen as many as three deer at one time in the yard which can be both really cool and a bit frightening when you drive onto the driveway late at night and they run in front of the car. We are very careful of them. Many a deer has been hit on the highway near our house. In fact we noticed a dead deer in the field next door just yesterday. I sure hope it wasn't a companion of the one from the yard this morning.

I think deer are such beautiful animals, and I don't mind at all sharing my yard with the occasional one. Though we do have a suspicion that they feast on the goldfish in the pond on occasion. I don't think mrangelmeg envisioned his pond as a feeding station for wild deer.

Who would have thought that a city girl like me would learn to love the country enough to appreciate the occasional deer in her yard? Certainly not me.

God is good, all the time.

Pax


No comments: