Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Transitions


Today was the end of my first year of Spiritual Direction Internship. I went into this year thinking that maybe I had the charism needed to do this type of work and this first year has been a steady affirmation of that in my head and in my heart.


I have learned so much about spirituality that I just didn't know before, and then this last few months I have been immersed in a world of the mystics that have brought into focus a lot of my personal journey of faith over the past ten years or so. It is as though now I see clearly what I only understood in a very superficial way when it was actually happening to me.


Which just leads me to believe that I was meant to go through this internship at this point in time, regardless if I ever spend one moment as a spiritual director myself, so that I could process what has been happening in my own spiritual life.


That would be completely enough, but to be honest, I am excited about the two directees that I will be meeting beginning next month. The thought of using the knowledge I have gained to help someone else navigate their own spiritual journey makes the spirit well up within me and at the same time brings on a sense of great humility. That I will be allowed privy to someone else's journey toward the heart of God is so humbling.


I know I am ready for this, I have been trained well. I just need to stop my knees from knocking together so that I will be able to hear the directee's story as it is being told. The Holy Spirit will do the rest.


Pax

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

When you pray, have humility within your heart as best as you know how to have, really care about another of God's children and their very souls...then I cannot but believe that the Holy Spirit will take over and lead you into words, actions, and other ways of offering wisdom to the one who comes to you. It isn't as powerful as Christ being in the midst as in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but it can sure come mighty close! I hope that made sense..it did to me.