Thursday, July 05, 2007

What Are You Reading? AKA Join the Fun

Catholic Summer Reading Logo


Don't waste your summer watching Soprano reruns or Reality Television. Pick up a good book and prove to the world that as a matter of fact, Catholics do read. Go to this website, choose one of the finalist books and join the Catholic Summer Reading Program.
The selection of books is amazing, and I want to extend a hearty congrats to Internet pal Matthew Lickona's wonderful Swimming with Scapulars for garnering the top spot with such huge competition.


After just a week ago bemoaning the fact that I didn't have time to read anything but Philosophy for the next two months I gave myself a break and picked up one of the finalist books Cosmas or the Love of God yesterday and read about a third of the way through. It is so beautifully written that I enjoyed every minute. My only problem was that I had to resist picking up my pencil to underline passages and take notes in the margin. Which I suppose isn't a bad thing and I may just do that the next time I read it. Yes folks you read that right, when I enjoy a book I actually read it more than once.

I am going to add the link to my sidebar to encourage all of my two loyal readers to read one of the books on the list. I haven't read all of them myself but I am familiar with most of the authors, and they all look very intriguing.

The website gives links to discussion questions and if you scroll to the bottom there is a link for a summer reading sheet for kids that they can use this summer to broaden their horizons and then get a prize.

Our prize at the end of the summer is having read great literature for and about our awesome faith tradition.

Pax

No comments: