Saturday, March 31, 2007

All Retreated Out

I got back from retreat about an hour ago and after a restorative nap I feel compelled to tell you some of the highlights of a wonderful spirit filled time.

We began last evening with a Reconciliation Service which was built around the Parable of the Forgiving Father (or Prodigal Son, depending on your age) . We had a copy of the Rembrandt picture up on the prayer table to remind everyone of the point (conversion being the point, DUH). Then there was a chance for Reconciliation. While the candidates and sponsors went to the sacrament we had a prayer service with the Elect in which they experienced God's forgiveness and conversion in their lives through a sin burning. (cool if you have never seen one done and very powerful as an image of an oblation to the Lord)

This morning I gave a talk on Discipleship in Transition using Mary Magdalene as my example, and talked about my ministry with my mother. It was a very difficult talk for me to give but lots of people came up and thanked me afterwords for sharing, and felt that it was very powerful.

To be honest, the rest of the day is a blur for me of activity. One of the later highlights was the Candidates and Elect were presented cards made for them by the Families Growing in Faith group at the parish and one girl got a beautiful card that told her to be filled with a Happy Spit!!!!! We all laughed so hard we could hardly stand it. She absolutely loves the card and thinks she is going to frame it.

So, my elect, Emily is all ready for her Baptism on Easter Vigil. In fact she can hardly contain her joy at the thought of what is about to happen. She was practically floating as she left the retreat today. Keep her in your prayers this week, her last week before she enters the waters of Baptism and joins us at the Table of the Lord for the very first time.

Pax

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I will offer prayers for her and Doug and well...all of God's children coming closer to Him and may they remind us never to stray too far either. God bless you for your talk...I know that had to be tough. If it helped even one soul...it was worth it.