Monday, November 10, 2008

Is The Obama Youth in Our Future?

This article states that only after a web furor was the wording on Obama's official website changed to soften the idea of compulsory service for middle school and high school youth in the "Classroom Corps". Now the site states that the service will be "a goal" in middle and high school.

Further there will be the carrot of a $4000 tax credit for every college student who performs service in the first two years of matriculation. (I wonder where that money is going to come from because that is a heck of a lot of carrots if every kid in the country takes advantage of it).

But in order to receive this carrot, according to Rahm Emanuel there would be mandatory civil service. The following is in his own words:

"It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, all Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service."

Tuccille comments, "Emanuel and co-author Bruce Reed insist 'this is not a draft,' but go on to write of young men and women, 'the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service.' They also warn, 'Some Republicans will squeal about individual freedom,' ruling out any likelihood that they would let people opt out of universal citizen service."


Are you going to take into account that our beautiful daughter who is a freshman in college is High Functioning Autistic, a disability which makes it almost impossible for her to fit in with a group of people. She is struggling to find a job even with the help of vocational rehabilitation support. I can't imagine the nightmare that Mr Emanuel's basic training and civil service would be for her. What kind of protections will be put in place to assure that she will not be terrorized by the system?

And another point, I don't know about other parents, but my children do volunteer work, that mrangelmeg and I approve, and only when it doesn't interfere with their first priority, school work. I don't want their school, in an extremely liberal city to determine when and where my child will do community service without my input, thank you very much.

My 13 year old child will not be conscripted into anyone's corps, Mr Obama, she can do her service work alongside her father and myself at our Parish Church outreach or with the Gabriel project which collects items that women in unplanned pregnancies will need so that they won't have to turn to the desperate act of thinking of their precious child as a punishment (Your words Mr Obama). I am not against community service, I am just against conscription to do so.

All I have to say is, be careful what you vote for people.

h/t to adoro to devote for the heads up.

Pax

1 comment:

leftbanker said...

I think the basic idea of community service is a wonderful idea. For so many Americans, patriotism is simply symbolic. As far as the $4,000 tax credit, of course we can afford it; we're the richest country on earth (still). One month of this war would probably finance a couple years of this program. I'm sure there were some who thought the G.I. Bill would be too expensive but it was probably the greatest investment America has ever made in its citizens. Unfortunately for me, Reagan pretty much gutted it before I did my service. The truth is the we can't afford NOT to invest in education. I have always said that any kid who can maintain a C+ average shouldn't have to be an indentured servant to get a college degree.

This civilian service has some bugs in it but the premise is solid. Many countries still require universal military service in order to reinforce the notion of duty and I think they are better for it. The extreme right has taken this to crazy levels of paranoia, even suggesting that Obama is going to build a secret police force. That is just insane. Meanwhile these same critics have no problem funding a real fascist security service like Blackwater whose CEO turns around and uses tax dollars to fund his loopy ultra right-wing organizations.

I talked with a lot of Americorps kids and I've known people who worked for the Peace Corps. They are all better Americans for it.

Nice web page (worldnet) there with jokes about torture. “I'd rather be waterboarding.” Hilarious.