Monday, September 15, 2008

No Power Monday

Ike blew through our town yesterday bringing winds in excess of 60 miles per hour and wreaking havoc on the trees and power lines. There were power outages everywhere. The paper said that 30,000 people were without power for at least part of the day Sunday.

We have been without power since 5:00 p.m. with no restoration in sight, and according to the news in the morning paper it may take days for them to restore power to our rural cooperative area. Days without power. I am just repeating that so that it will sink in. Mrangelmeg was lucky, he went into work yesterday afternoon and he is at work today and will be staying late tonight where he has light and access to the Internet.

I on the other hand had to take my computer to a coffee shop just to access the Internet, check email and complete my paper which is due tomorrow. I did most of the work on it by candle light using my laptop battery power last night until the battery ran out. I just have a few clean up tasks to do before it is done and ready to print.

Then I have to go back to my powerless house and assess the situation. I am praying that it doesn't take DAYS, but if it does I need to figure out how to feed the kids and how to keep them clean without hot water.

I am seriously going to call our insurance agent to find out if we are covered for interim housing in a situation like this. Not to mention the loss of everything in our fridge/freezer if it takes days to restore power.

Oh well, I'm going to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, and copy my paper to my flash drive so that I can have it printed at Office Max so I can turn it in tomorrow, just in case.

UPDATE: As of 1:00 this afternoon we have power. A quick check of the freezers shows that while the kitchen freezer is a total loss, the big one in the garage did a great job of keeping everything frozen and we didn't lose a thing. I guess we will be having whatever I can salvage from the Kitchen freezer for dinner tonight, anyone for potluck soup?


Pax

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Yikes! Prayers.