Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Grey's Anatomy Dilema

I used to be a huge fan of Grey's Anatomy. I love Patrick Dempsey and Eric Dane and was sucked into the story line from the first week. I thought the writing was really great the first four seasons and couldn't wait till the next episode came each week to find out what was going to happen to these wonderfully dark and disturbing but ultimately good at heart people.

Until this season. Now they have a new story line in which two female characters are exploring a same sex attraction. Neither has ever been attracted to a woman before, so neither was born homosexual. This us just wrong on so many levels that I can't find any reason to watch.

I am in my own way trying to come to terms with homosexuality. While I still find the practice to be against everything I feel to be morally upstanding, I am beginning to see that IF a person is born with a tendency toward a same sex attraction, THEN possibly there must be some reason for God to have intended that to be so. Which doesn't excuse the total depravity of some of the homosexual lifestyle, such as multiple sexual partners and anonymous wanton sexual abandon, which would be wrong even if it were among heterosexuals.

But for two women to just decide that they like kissing each other and maybe they should "give it a try"? As if it is going out for Thai food, or wearing five inch heals. This to me is morally offensive, and goes against the whole intent of the Theology of the Body as I understand it and the meaning of intimacy as God laid it out for us as human beings.

So, while I used to love Grey's Anatomy I will no longer be watching this season. I have to wonder if this isn't some sort of overstep for the backlash from the sad situation with Isaiah Washington's remark's about the homosexual cast member. If the producers went this far to appease the gay culture I think it is a sad state of affairs.

They lost me as a viewer.

Pax

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I won't go into what all I would say here, but I will say one thing...I am so glad that I have basically broken the tv series habit..did it long ago. I know many would disagree with me, but for the most part, I have never seen a series fail to disappoint me hugely in moral areas. When I have sat and viewed some of this crap, I keep thinkin..is there something else God is telling me I should be doing?
The answer I almost always get is:
"Yes."
Went to see a pretty good movie with Teresa on Sat. "A Family That Preys."
Anyways... just rambling.

Mimi said...

Now admittedly, I do still watch Grey's Anatomy (and have been pondering the three friends storyline and what it had to say about marriage) I think that the show has shown plenty of multiple sexual partners and anonymous wanton sexual abandon of the heterosexual type as well - I'm continually amazed at how quickly everyone on that show falls into bed with everyone else. Ay yi yi.

But, I find the storylines interesting and the show good enough to follow. But, I watch "The Office" on Thursday nights and tape GA to watch later.