Saturday, March 11, 2006

Reflection on Obedience for Saturday The First Week of Lent

We have been in lent for a little over a week. Some of us have been fasting this lent from things that we needed to let go of in our lives. I wonder how we have been doing in our attempt to let go? It has been slightly easier for me perhaps than some of you out there to let go, because for me it is a health issue; either I stop eating these foods that are poisoning me or I remain sick.

Obedience is an interesting thing. The Israelites were brought out of slavery in Egypt by a loving God who brought them into the desert to teach them about obedience. In the desert they had to depend on God alone for all of their needs. There wasn't much chance for them to barter with other civilizations, or plant crops, or in any other way take care of themselves. They were totally dependent on God. He provided for their needs.

As I look at my new way of life, only eating what my body needs, no matter how appealing the thought of (or the taste of) some of the old foods I used to eat are, I am beginning to understand how my metabolism works. I am beginning to see myself as fearfully, wonderfully made. In my obedience, I am gaining a great love for my creator. He made me this way for a reason, If I live within the guidelines of the foods that are healthy choices for me I will thrive. If I make choices that are outside those guidelines I will begin to go back into the bondage of the illnesses I was experiencing. I want to be free. Living a life of obedience will make me free.

If I am made in the image and likeness of God, and I am shackled to illnesses that I have brought on myself because of my own stubborn choices, then when people see me what kind of image of God am I projecting? It is a pretty sad thing for me to ponder. When people see me I want them to see the best image of myself I can be. My choices are something I can control. Obedience gives me the ability to show those positive choices to the world.


Moses said to the people, "Today the Lord your God commands you to obey all his laws; so obey them faithfully with all your heart . . . and you will bring praise and honor to his name." Deuteronomy 26:16,19


Pax

1 comment:

kairosnow said...

wonderful thoughts. Very timely for me.