Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Deus Caritas Est (God is Love)


VATICAN CITY -
Pope Benedict XVI said Wednesday in his first encyclical that the Roman Catholic Church has no desire to govern states or set public policy, but can't remain silent when its charity is needed to ease suffering around the world. Read more here


A man after my own heart; he can't remain silent in the face of great need.

I am so impressed that part of the need he perceives is to rescue true "eros" from what the world has made it into and bring it back to those of us who understand what it really is.

I haven't yet read the entire encyclical, but I have (don't tell my Old Testament professor) put it at the top of my reading pile for today. The prophets Amos and Hosea will have to wait their turn.

Read the entire document yourself here.

Pax

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Wonderful!