Saturday, August 09, 2008

Redemption as a Movie Theme

I must have been in some kind of mood when I stopped by the local Red Box on the way home yesterday because I chose three movies to watch while I finished the reorganization of my closet and bedroom (I watched them on my computer DVD player).

Each one of the movies had an underlying theme of a life redeemed. Each movie was beautifully, masterfully made in a very different way and for a very different audience, and yet, each left me feeling ultimately hopeful.

I am sure that my loyal readers have all seen these movies before, and I have even blogged about one of them before, but just in case I am going to mention all three of them here.

The first one I watched was Atonement. This is the story of how one young girl's miss-perception can change the lives of those around her so irrevocably, and what she does to try to make up for it. The acting was superb and it was amazingly well directed. I was torn to shreds by the end of this film.

The Second film was the beautiful Bella. This film tells the story of how two people share one day, and in that day find a way to repair the damage that has been done in their lives. It is an extremely pro-life, pro-family movie. Again, I was crying by the end.

The third movie was The Kite Runner. This is the story of two boys growing up in Afghanistan; one who is totally devoted to the other. Without giving more away this story is a tale of family loyalty, love and redemption between the two as they reach maturity half a world away from each other. I cannot tell you how deeply this film affected me. I am still savoring the heartfelt messages of hope and love that were brought out in this story.

The storytelling in these films was masterful. I was transported to three very different cultures and three different times. And yet, each had a message of loss, hope,forgiveness and redemption.

If you are looking for a good movie, you can't go wrong with any of these. Unless you are looking for car chases or fart jokes. I am afraid you will have to look somewhere else to get your fill of those.

Pax

No comments: