Monday, August 11, 2008

Great Books

My Parish has a "Great Books" group that meets once a month to discuss works of Catholic prose, both fiction and non fiction, mostly non fiction, and the first year I thought the choices were a bit predictable: Theology for Dummies, Mere Christianity, Confession of St. Augustine.

I was, at the time completing my Masters and really didn't have the time or the energy to participate in such a group (or so I justified my lack of participation).

Then on my first Sunday back after my self-imposed exile in paradise what do I find on the list of books for this fall but Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy. What a great welcome home gift! I wasn't aware that my parish was aware of Percy, and thanks to my pals at Korrektiv I have been introduced to his writings and have read more than a few of his books, so I am actually looking forward to joining this discussion.

Maybe I will even stick around for some of the other books they choose this year if they are the caliber of this first one.

Pax

No comments: