Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Vatican Promulgates Driver's 10 Commandments


We all have seen how horrible the road rage has gotten in the last few years. Some of us may even have been victims of it. Some of us may even have been perpetrators of it. (I am the worst at shouting at drivers who are doing something stupid, just ask my kids).


The Vatican has stepped in to help us all in our "road to holiness" and has given us this wonderful document The Pastoral Care of Road Users. to aide us in our use of the highways and byways as Catholic Christians who hopefully eventually want to get to heaven. Included in this document which is well worth reading the entire document, is the Ten Commandments for Drivers:


I. You shall not kill.


II. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.


III. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.



IV. Be charitable and help your neighbour in need, especially victims of accidents.


V. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.


VI. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.


VII. Support the families of accident victims.


VIII. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.


IX. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.


X. Feel responsible towards others.


I may have to print those out and post them in my car, I used to get really upset at mrangelmeg when he stopped to help stranded motorists. Now I will have to think twice about how I feel about that. I will also have to be a little more forgiving of those people who do stupid things that make me mad in the car. My immortal soul may depend on it now.


h/t to Fr Roderic of Daily Breakfast/SQPN for the heads up on the ten commandments of you don't get the Daily Breakfast podcast you really should, they are awesome. At least go to SQPN and check out the other Catholic content you can get, I get three or four of them and they are all great.


Pax

No comments: