Tuesday, November 22, 2005

When God Speaks

Addenda: just yesterday I wrote this in my blog:

3) I am going to try to remember something mrangelmeg has been telling me for a while now: That is isn't always about me. I am going to try to live by this rule every day.

I really do intend to live by that rule, and it isn't always about me, but. . . sometimes it is:

I went to Mass tonight and God spoke to me in the first reading in a deeply personal way that was completely unexpected and almost brought me to tears. Especially considering all of the turmoil I have been going through in my work environment lately. The reading was from Hosea chapter 2 verses 16 and following.

* So I will allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak to her heart. From there I will give her the vineyards she had, and the valley of Achor as a door of hope. She shall respond there as in the days of her youth, when she came up from the land of Egypt.
* On that day, says the LORD, She shall call me "My husband," and never again "My baal." Then will I remove from her mouth the names of the Baals, so that they shall no longer be invoked. I will make a covenant for them on that day, with the beasts of the field, With the birds of the air, and with the things that crawl on the ground. Bow and sword and war I will destroy from the land, and I will let them take their rest in security.* I will espouse you to me forever: I will espouse you in right and in justice, in love and in mercy; I will espouse you in fidelity, and you shall know the LORD.



The really interesting thing about that is that if you look on the website for the USCCB, that isn't what was supposed to be the reading for today. It was supposed to be from Daniel. I suppose that there is some logical explanation for why at my parish this particular reading was the one that was chosen to be read on this particular day. I know why though, because God needed for me to hear these words, spoken by Him to me today when I was in distress.
God is so amazing, all the time.
Pax

No comments: