Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What Background Music Goes with Desperation?

So I am sitting in the library working on my Marathon assignment of questions on Augustine and Aquinas (I figure if I do five a day I will have them done by the time I have to turn them in. Since I won't be able to do any on Saturday or Sunday I am getting some done to get ahead).

Then for my other class on Plato and Aristotle I have to read 300+ pages before this Saturday so I have marked off 100 pages that I have to read today (as if, I mean seriously).

Older daughter is doing volunteer work here at the library and the two younger girls are checking out stuff. We may be here for a while.

Anyway I was searching through my Ipod for some music to listen to as I do all this studying. I actually set up a study mix of instrumental music so that the words won't get in the way, but I just don't feel like taking the chance of actually listening to music that might be upbeat, so I decided against listening to that today.

What did I choose? Well, considering all of the factors, my mood, the level of attachment I feel in the subject matter, and wanting to assure that I stay awake I decided that there was only one choice. This was what I chose.

Come on, you have to agree with me, the music is wonderful, but the lyrics are so nihilistic that they fit my current mood perfectly (especially girlfriend in a coma).

btw: the review in the link was written by my brother. I suppose I should come clean and let him know that I was actually a Smiths fan back in the late 80's too. But then I doubt that he would believe it, he thinks I am totally uncool.

Pax

1 comment:

Paul Stokell said...

Three easy picks for that:

-- Gary Jules' "Mad World" from the soundtrack to "Donnie Darko,"

-- John Williams' "Immolation Scene" from Episode III:Revenge of the Sith, and

-- Barber's Adagio for Strings (NB: The video will kill any mood like cyanide - don't click unless you want to get depressed real quick!!)

--