Sunday, August 12, 2007

I've Been Tagged: 8 things meme

Gashwin tagged me with a meme


I honestly can't remember if I have done this one before. And since I even got a special email invitation to do it (I think he is trying to get my mind off of my troubles by sending me things to do that don't involve either Philosophy or thinking about my mom for a while. I am so grateful to him for the stress reliever.


"The rules are simple…Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog."




1. I am one of nine children (6 girls, three boys). I have one brother and three sisters who live her in the Midwest with me, but the rest of my family is spread across the country from Arizona to Florida to Pennsylvania and then our one brother is presently living in Spain. I wish I talked to them all more but I am not the best at keeping in touch.

2. I write in journals. This is a trait I got from my mother who has always kept a journal for as long as I can remember. I was going through some of her papers the other day and found one of her journal entries on the back of some junk mail. She carefully preserved it. I am thinking about transcribing it here on my blog because she is a wonderful writer and this particular entry is filled with insight on how to live in the moment and not second guessing the past or worrying about the future.

3. I am still taking piano lessons. I don't play well but I have only been taking them for about a year and a half. At least now I can read the bass clef scale now if I could only get my fingers to play the notes I read.

4. I am slightly dyslexic. It shows up mostly as discalculia which means that I often transpose numbers, not the best thing to have happen when balancing a checkbook.
It often happens as I am typing as well but thanks to spell check my efforts don't come off as totally incomprehensible.


5. I used to play golf with my dad when I was little -- meaning he would let me hit from the T and then hit twice on the fairway and if I wasn't on the green yet I picked up my ball and dropped it on the green. Then I got to putt three times. If I didn't make it in the hole I would pick up my ball again. It was a great way to learn golf, but I hadn't played in years when I met mrangelmeg, and had to relearn to play if I wanted to spend any time with him in the summer months. I am (as you may have read this summer) doing not too badly for someone who never actually took a lesson. I do enjoy the game. I may have actually played as often as mrangelmeg this summer. He doesn't get as much play time as he used to get.

6. Sadly, I can't speak another language. I could kick myself for not taking a language in college or high school but I had other priorities then. Now I am trying to learn Spanish and not getting very far on my own.

7. I'm still trying to discern what it is God wants me to do with my soon to be earned Master's Degree. I have been listening for some "movement of the Spirit" but as yet I haven't heard much in the way of direction. So I wait and pray and hope that when I do feel the Spirit move I will be willing to do whatever I am asked. Until then I wait and pray. I have often said that in the words of that great theologian Tom Petty "the Waiting is the hardest part."

8. In just over a month (October 10 to be exact) mrangelmeg and I will celebrate the 25th anniversary of our first date. I was telling someone the other day that I can remember clearly the night I realized I was in love with him. It was when he was away for the weekend and I wasn't going to see him until Sunday evening or Monday depending on how late a start he got from home. I looked around my apartment and his presence was there; a flannel shirt he had left there one night because the weather had turned unseasonably warm; the mountain dew in the refrigerator; a piece of paper that had fallen out of a notebook of his with his handwriting on it (class notes or lab notes or something). I started to wonder about the future and couldn't imagine a future for myself that didn't include him. Looking back on what we have lived through I can't imagine having done some of the things I have done in my life without having him by my side (including my Master's Degree). So, here's to reminiscing about the past 25 years together and planning for the next 25.



I don't know who to tag, so if you want to play along go right ahead.

Pax

2 comments:

Adoro said...

This is a beautiful post.

As far as languages...you really cannot learn them on your own. I'm a firm believer in classroom instruction, and with regard to languages...immersion.

I studied Spanish for 6 years (High School and college) and then spent a semester in Mexico. Our first 3 days were spent in Mexico City, and the first opp I had to really use the language (besides at the gate at the airport where they searched my baggage), was ordering lunch the next day. From McDonald's. Yup. I couldnt' even order a medium Coke. That evening, a friend thought she was ordering toast and got bacon. To her credit, she'd had only one semester of Spanish.

Languages take work, and they involve training the ear to cooperate with the mind, to cooperate with the mouth.

I lived with a family in Puebla for those months, and they did not speak English. God bless them, they would not let me hedge...if I didn't understand something, or spoke incorrectly, they forced the issue, made me speak, and even laughed at me

I think you just inspired a blog post. Thank you! I've been suffering from writers' block!

:-)

Mimi said...

What interesting facts! My mom is a journaler, but I've never been quite able to pull it off. And, she tells me to burn her journals and not read them, and she'd come back and get me if I read them :)

My Dh is also slightly dyslexic and it shows up as discalculia as well - I balance the checkbook for that very reason.

What a sweet memory regarding your and the mister.