Monday, August 13, 2007

Check That One Off my To Do List . . .

I placed my mom in a "memory care" unit of a nursing home today. We got her settled into her room and just about the time she realized that she was staying and we were going to leave she got a bit upset with us.

I made sure that they have her down as Catholic and the next time the EMHC from the local parish comes through she will be reminded to receive, which will make her happy. There were quite a few Catholic members of the staff so that was nice as well.

We met her new Dr. and I like him. He is very gentle with her and does a wonderful job of making her feel as though she still has worth even if she can't remember how many of her kids were boys and how many were girls (3 boys, 6 girls).

When he asked her how old she was she said that she was too old to live and too feisty to die. That is pretty much my mom.

Anyway about ten minutes after we met with her Dr. the Nurse on the ward distracted mom so that we could leave. I was sad on the way home, but I know this is the safest place for her.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep her there, the place is darned expensive and she has very little ready cash. I will have to decide pretty soon if we should sell her house. I have one other alternative, I found a whole life policy in her things, so I may be able to cash that in for the cash value and use that for about a year while I try to find someone to help us keep the house for my sister who has lived there as long as mom (going on 34 years).

It is all so difficult. I want to thank you all for your prayers.

Pax

1 comment:

Adoro said...

Praying, offering this intention to OLPH for you!