Monday, April 20, 2009

Mystic Monday: Divine Mercy Edition



Yesterday was Divine Mercy Sunday, a relatively new feast day in our Catholic Tradition, but one that is very special to many people, most especially John Paul the Great our late Pope. He had a great devotion to the Divine Mercy of Jesus, and spoke often using one of my favorite images of God's love as an Ocean of Mercy.




So, in honor of Divine Mercy Sunday yesterday dear children we will visit with a beautiful young woman today, St Faustina, to whom our Blessed Saviour sent the image of His Divine Mercy. She spoke of it in her autobiography in this way:


"In the evening, when I was in my cell, I became aware of the Lord Jesus clothed in a white garment. One hand was raised in blessing, the other was touching the garment at the breast. From the opening of the garment at the breast there came forth two large rays, one red and the other pale. In silence I gazed intently at the Lord; my soul was overwhelmed with fear, but also with great joy. After a while Jesus said to me, 'paint an image according to the pattern you see, with the inscription: Jesus, I trust in You.'"


She painted the image, just as she had seen it, and we know it today as the Divine Mercy.


This is how Our Lord Himself described the image to her:



"The pale ray stands for the Water which makes souls righteous; the red ray stands for the Blood which is the life of souls. These two rays issued forth from the depths of My most tender Mercy at that time when My agonizing Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross....Fortunate is the one who will dwell in their shelter, for the just hand of God shall not lay hold of him."


We also have a chaplet of Divine Mercy which is said on a standard Rosary and asks for reparations not only for our own sins, but also for the sins of the whole world. It is one of the most beautiful prayers that I have ever heard sung. There is a place on the click through page to hear it sung, it is worth the time to click on the YouTube link and listen, I promise you.
Pax

No comments: