Friday, April 10, 2009

Holy Week with John of the Cross


I didn't post on Wednesday or Thursday due to too may commitments outside the house. I will just skip adding those reflections and continue with my Friday John of the Cross meditation:


Where have you hidden ,
Beloved, and left me moaning?
You fled like the stag
After wounding me;
I went out calling you, and you were gone.
This is the way it feels in a Catholic Church after Holy Thursday Mass, when the Tabernacle is emptied, its light extinguished, and the altar is bare. Jesus has fled [to the altar of repose] . The church is somehow more quiet, more cold than it normally is. Something palpable is missing.

My mother used to say, Jesus is in hiding until Holy Saturday Mass when the consecration happens again and the balance is restored.

We are on our way toward the Resurrection, Happy Good Friday.

Pax

No comments: