Monday, February 09, 2009

Mystic Monday: Edith Stein 1891 -1942


Today dear children I want to introduce you to a woman of knowledge. She was born Edith Stein, into a Jewish family in Germany in the late part of the 19th century. Her life was consumed with the pursuit of truth. She received a Doctorate in Philosophy with the distinction of Suma Cum Laude.

Somehow in her study of truth, she began to seek a deeper Truth which she found within the Catholic faith. She converted in the year 1922. She entered the Carmelite order of her favorite saint, Teresa of Avilla, taking the name Teresa Benedicta of the Cross and entered the cloister. During World War II she was sent to Auschwitz concentration camp because she was of Jewish heritage. She died there in the gas chamber in August of 1942. She was canonized in 1998.

Her writings are of great inspiration as one who sought the face of God and found peace in the journey.

Here is a short prayer for your collection:

O my God, fill my soul with holy joy, courage and strength to serve You.
Enkindle Your love in me and then walk with me along the next stretch of
road before me. I do not see very far ahead, but when I have arrived where
the horizon now closes down, a new prospect will open before me, and I shall
meet it with peace.




There is also a longer prayer I would like to share with you,

which can be found here:

Novena to the Holy Spirit




Pax

No comments: