Friday, June 27, 2008

Did I Volunteer to be Exhausted?


So the angelbaby wanted to attend "Power Lab VBS" at Corpus Christi this week, and recently graduated daughter volunteered to help out. I thought that I would be dropping them off at 8:30 every morning and then going back at Noon to pick them up.


Then it turned out that the Craft room needed another volunteer, and I was there, so I somehow volunteered to help out in the craft room with this amazing woman that I have gotten along with really well all week. We have come up with some pretty creative little "extra science experiments" to amaze the kids each day, and our sense of humors mesh really well so we keep each other amused in between times as well. She has given me some great insight into the Destin area, and she even gave me a Trader Vic's VIP Card that I intend to use for 50% drinks at the bar here at The Palms very often for the rest of our stay.


I have had an enormous amount of fun and I have also gotten to know some of the other women in the Parish which has been a real bonus, but what I didn't count on was how incredibly exhausted I would be every day at about 12:25. I went from almost no activity in the mornings for the past four weeks to being totally hyperactive for an entire week, and surrounded by very hyper kids too (well, surrounded is relative, this is a small parish so the VBS has about 30 kids total.)


Anyway, I am really glad that today is our last day, and I will be back to my lazy mornings next week.


This week really reminded me that back when I was DRE my very favorite job during VBS week was getting to be the person who cut the checks and sat in the office across the parking lot and made sure everything got paid for but really didn't have to do any of the real work. Now that is the way to get VBS done. Those were good times.


Pax

2 comments:

Mimi said...

VBS is fun, but hard work, I agree.

Suzanne said...

Glad you got tired...you know what I mean...tired enough to know you had a good hearty full day! ;)
So nice you are getting to know some really nice Floridians and others visiting there like you are...I'm still JEALOUS! Grrr..but I loves ya still! Tell the kids and Mr. angelmeg "Hi!"