Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Neighbor


Today marks the 80th Birthday anniversary of every one's favorite neighbor, Fred Rogers. If you grew up between 1959 and the present or had children in that time you were exposed to his gentle brand of loving education.


My daughters and I watched an episode of his show just the other day, and while the youngest still enjoyed it, the 21 year old found it a bit syrupy. I looked her right in the eye and said, for years you made me watch this show with you day after day after day. Mr. Rogers doesn't make his show for the parents he makes it just for the kids. There was no subtle nod or wink, wink joke in anything he did. He was totally focused on the task of teaching children in a safe, predictable environment.


Then of course because we are who we are, we proceeded to find double entendre's in everything from Mr Rogers making the trolley go into and out of the hole, to Lady Elaine's Red Nose, and what exactly did they make in that factory anyway? We were laughing so hard we were in tears. Oh how I wish I had thought of it in that way when I was watching the show every day for fifteen years straight while the kids were growing up.

Anyway, for everything he did for the children of this country, especially for exposing my kids to some really amazing musicians, I will always be indebted to Fred Rogers. May he rest in peace.


Pax

No comments: