Tuesday, March 04, 2008

GO Training Tuesday: Mind Body Spirit Connection

Last month when I was at my Spiritual Direction appointment my Spiritual Director and I were discussing how important our respective physical training regimens have become in our lives and how connected they were to our spiritual lives.

As my body gets stronger, I am much more prepared to be the person that God created me to be. We also discussed the meditative state that one can enter while exercising. I have found that my exercise time is great prayer time (and not just because I am saying prayers of thanksgiving after my sets on the core bench are done).

I also find that I am in much better spirits when I exercise regularly, and when I get out of sync with my pattern of regular exercise I can tell, just as I can when I get out of sync with my regular prayer time. Friday was the last time I was able to get in a full workout because the weekend was crazy. Saturday we worked to get a storage closet at the house cleaned out, and Sunday I was so tired out that I spent the entire afternoon napping. Mondays I spend the day at the angelbaby's school in the Media Center so there is no time for a workout, and today I am at home trying to catch up on laundry that is spilling out of the laundry room and will take over the family room if I don't get a handle on it (I am also a bit under the weather and I don't think I could handle a full workout today if I tried). Tomorrow I will meet with my trainer, so I will be getting a full workout in, and not a moment too soon.

I also have found that I have a definite biorhythmic limit to when I can workout. If I don't get my workout in between 9 am and 5 pm fogetaboudit! Any earlier and I am just not awake, any later and I am a lost cause for the rest of the day. Mrangelmeg likes to work out at 9 pm and has invited me to join him. I just don't have the energy or motivation to workout that late in the evening.

This is a good sign. I am so connected to my training regimen that when I am away from my regular schedule for even a few days I miss it. I can tell that my body is changing. My hips and abs are getting less flabby, and I am finally losing weight. Someday, maybe not soon, but someday with God's help and my continued dedication, I will be in pretty good shape.

If I can do this, anybody can.

Pax

No comments: