Tuesday, March 11, 2008

GO: Training Tuesday: Staying Fit Away From Home

In case you haven't figured it out yet, it is Spring Break around the angelmeg household and while we didn't get to follow mrangelmeg south (he is on TDY at an Air Force Base on the Gulf Coast for the next six weeks) the three younger girls and I did take a quick trip to this place. We are staying at a great hotel with an indoor water park.

I was worried that I wouldn't get a good workout in while we were on our little trip, but between our side trips to quaint little shops on three different levels, and all the climbing I have done in the water park to get to the different slides, there is a fitness center in the hotel that has a precor machine, so I actually did 30 minutes of cardio this morning. My trainer will be proud.

So my training tip for today is when you have to be away from home, find ways to build in time for fitness. Most hotels have some sort of fitness room, even if (like the one here) it only includes three simple machines --one of which is out of order. If your hotel doesn't have a fitness room, park farther away from where you are going and walk, or take the stairs instead of the elevator, or take a walk or jog in the morning or evening in the neighborhood or nearby park.

Once you begin an exercise routine, it is hard to give it up even for a few days. I can't believe I actually typed that sentence and actually meant it. I am growing in many ways while my waistline is shrinking.

Pax

1 comment:

The Ironic Catholic said...

Good for you! I completely need to get exercising again. I hope I can type "that line" soon....