Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papam: We Have a Pope

After a puff of white smoke from the little chimney, and much waiting and anticipation, our new pope stepped onto the balcony in the Vatican.

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, who will now and forever be known as Pope Benedict XVI. "Dear brothers and sisters, after our great pope, John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me, humble worker in God's vineyard, . . . I am consoled by the fact that the Lord knows how to work and to act, even with insufficient tools, and I especially trust in your prayers." was his first statement as Pope. I, along with millions of other faithful Catholics will trust that the Holy Spirit knows our needs and has chosen well for our church.

While some of my friends are dismayed at this development, finding the new popes history to be one that is too hard line conservative, I will withhold judgment. One never knows what taking this job might do to a man. And at any rate even if I disagree with every decision he makes I won't be running for the nearest exit, because like Peter I must say "where can I go, You have the words of eternal life." It is only within the Church that I will find my own salvation.

For now, my salvation will be found under the watchful eye of Pope Benedict XVI, servant of the servants of God.

Pax

No comments: