Friday, April 22, 2005

Graduated from the "Safe Check in Call"

As I dropped my son off this morning we were discussing his day. Our plans had changed and I was reminding him that he was to go somewhere else after work than his normal routine. Since this was different than his normal routine, and I was going to be out of town, I asked him to give me a "safe check in call" where he calls from his cell phone to my cell phone to let me know he has arrived safely at his destination. I told him that I would be in a meeting and he should just leave a message, but if I didn't have a message from him I would worry, because, you know, I am a mom, and that is what we do.

This afternoon when I checked my phone, sure enough he had left me a message. I quote: "Mom, it's me, I got here safely, and I intend to be safe for the remainder of the day, so you don't have to worry."

I guess I some times tend to forget that he is twenty years old. This will be the last safe check in call I will have him make. I really should be glad that he kept his sense of humor about the entire thing.

I hope he has enough patience to help me get through this letting go stuff.

Pax

No comments: