Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Little Hope for Christmas

What better way to spend this Advent than by reading and meditating on a new Papal Encyclical:

Saved by Hope
I am a great proponent of the average pew-sitting Catholic reading these amazing documents. In fact the first one I ever read was Fides et Ratio in 1999, long before I ever thought I would work for the church or get a Gradual Degree in theology. I just decided one day that if the pope wrote this encyclical for "the faithful" that included little old me. So, I printed out a copy and worked my way through it.
Since then I have made it a point to read each new one as soon as I can when they are published. When I was working for the parish I wrote an article encouraging everyone in the parish to read Deus Caritas Est.
So. I am sorry Judith Viorst, but Murdering Mr. Monti will have to wait, because I am going to be reading this for the next few days. Then perhaps I will savor what I have read until Christmas. That seems to me to be a much more spiritual use of my time than finding out how and why your protagonist chose to murder anyone, especially this time of year.
Pax

No comments: