Wednesday, October 27, 2004

My Husband, My Strength

A long time ago, when I was a very little girl I watched my mom and dad sitting together in the kitchen having a last cup of coffee before starting their busy days. They had been married for at least 20 years by this time, and they seemed so content to be together. They weren't really talking about anything of substance, it certainly couldn't have been considered exciting to be talking about storm windows and loan payments. I could tell that they really cared about being together, even in those few short minutes that they got to spend together before life would take them in different directions for the rest of the day. I remember hoping one day that I would have that kind of relationship.

It occurred to me the other day, as Mr Angelmeg and I were sitting down over the Sunday paper that I do have what my parents had. We both have busy busy lives, and we are pulled in many directions, but when we are together we really savor the time we have to spend together, even if it is just sitting together in the same room.

I have been joking with my friends that recently Mr Angelmeg and I are only in the same room together when either one or both of us is asleep. That isn't too far from the truth. We both are taking Masters Courses, and He is working overtime and I am very busy with my job. Add in taking the kids to all of their activities, and general housework and there really isn't a lot of time left.


I guess I am one of the blessed ones: not only did I have a great example of how to live in a happy, long term, committed relationship, but I also am living in one myself. I hope my children can have what I have. I guess I just needed to let someone know how much it means to me that I am in a relationship that I know will last.

PAX

No comments: