Monday, March 21, 2005

Moving On

I have decided to stop living in the past, or in fear of the past. Every time I make a decision at work I am not even going to consider what the previous pastor would have thought about what I am doing. It was made very clear to us as staff this morning that our old pastor is gone and not coming back and the new pastor wants things done his way.

Don't get me wrong, we loved the old pastor, but as an administrator he could be a bit of a bull in a china shop and he intimidated the staff into doing things his way. The new pastor is very laid back but knows exactly what he wants and tends to get it. We are all very happy to be working in this new less explosive environment. I have only seen the new pastor angry once so far and that was in response to hearing repeatedly "we always had to do it the other way before."

It will take us a long time to get over being under the old administration and to stop fearing every decision we make that moves us from the way things were when he was our boss. I have decided that the getting over time has begun.

No longer will I worry about how different things are, and how angry the old guy would be at the way things are being done now. I am going to live in the present, and relish the calm, and enjoy the communication that goes on so freely among the entire staff now. I am going to stop resenting the fact that I never got as much feedback from my old boss in the five years I worked for him than I have gotten in the first month with the new boss.

I am going to enjoy the easy way that I can communicate and joke around with the new boss. I am going to thank God every night that I am actually in a collaborative environment where my opinion actually counts for something and is taken into consideration when decisions are made.

And I am going to enjoy going to work again. The past can't be fixed, but the future holds much promise. What a blessed place in which to be.

Pax

No comments: