Monday, October 27, 2008

Mystic Monday

Today I bring you one of the Desert Mothers: Amma Syncletica



Amma Syncletica said "there are many who live in the mountains and behave as if they were in the town and they are wasting their time. It is possible to be a solitary in one's mind while living in a crowd, and it is possible for one who is solitary to live in a crowd of personal thoughts."

from The Forgotten Desert Mothers


I remember meditating on this once during adoration. There was someone at adoration who seemed so much more still than I was and I was begging God for that kind of stillness. God responded by reminding me that I had a stillness of heart in my busy life that I had gained by learning to listen to that still, small voice,. I shouldn't judge by other's outer stillness because I had no way of knowing what was going on within.

Pax

No comments: