Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Famous Five Meme . . .

Because I will do anything to put off doing my Philosophy Homework I am going to take this tag from UKoK

If you could meet and have a deep conversation with any five people on earth, living or dead, from any time period, who would they be?" Explaining why is optional.

Name five people from each of the following categories:Saints, Those in the Process of Being Canonized, Heroes from your native country, Authors/Writers, celebrities.


Five Saints
St Ignatius of Loyola, because in the last ten years he has come to mean so much to my spiritual journey I would love to be able to thank him for helping me to define and shape my spiritual life.

St Margaret Mary Alaqoque Until I was ten I thought the Church had named a saint after me because each time they sang the litany of the saints they sang St Margaret Mary and that was my name. I was devastated to find out there really was another woman with that name until I read her biography in Lives of the Saints. I would love to actually meet her in person.

St Dymphna It is a long story, but I had a panic attack once in a strange place a long way away from home and a St Dymphna holy card showed up and eased my fears.

St Denis The Patron Saint of Migraine Sufferers. I have prayed to this man so often and for so long I would love to meet him. I would love to ask if the hagiography about his carrying his head for 25 miles is true.

St John (the gospel writer). Whoever wrote this particular gospel is someone that I would love to meet and have dinner and a bottle of wine with and ask a whole lot of questions about spirituality and holiness and love.

Those in the process of being Canonized
Mother Theodore Guerin because she is from Indiana, but not originally. I would like to commiserate with her about the difficulties of being a transplanted Hoosier. This conversation had better happen quickly, she will be canonized October 15th.

John Paul II so many questions to ask, so much to say.

Mother Teresa I think for these two I will be standing in a long line.

Bishop Fulton Sheen I loved to watch his old television shows and read his books. I would love to have him autograph his books.

Giorgio Frascati (sp) I would like to talk to him about helping me to keep my children Catholic as they move into adulthood.

Heroes from my own country This is a tough category for me
My mother's parents they both died before I was born and and they are heroes to me because they were immigrants from France. My grandfather sold wholesale fruits and vegetables during the depression before he was able to obtain teaching credentials and eventually become a professor of French and Spanish at a college.

Roger Marris He broke Babe Ruth's home run record (without medical assistance). He was one professional athlete who had a lot of class. I would love to have had the chance to meet him while he was alive. He may have played for the stinking Yankees but he had the good sense to end his career playing for the Cardinals.

John Carroll This man was the first bishop of America and a Jesuit. I am a real fan.

Rosa Parks She may have intentional started the civil rights movement, or she may have just been a tired woman who wanted a place to sit down. Either way I would love to have a chat with a woman who had the strength to stand her ground against ignorance and intolerance.


Authors Writers Celebrities
Harper Lee Favorite book of all time. Would love to meet her.

Evelyn Waugh I recently rediscovered his books. There is so much I would love to know I don't know where to start.

Flannery O'Connor I am such a big fan I would love to have had the chance to chat with her about faith and writing and life and peacocks.

Morris West love his books, he writes very strong women which to me means he must have known strong women and loved and been loved by them.

Jim Caviezel because he is such a great actor, not at all because he is so handsome, not at all.


I would like to challenge my husband to answer these questions in the comment box because I would love to know how he would answer them. Other than that, anyone else who wants to take this tag may have at it.

Pax

No comments: